CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

For Dan

We have all heard the tired old lines "Don't take one day forgranted", "Live each day like its your last" and so on so fourth. Each day you hear those things and it pretty much goes in one ear and out the other. Until something happens that makes you stop and think.

I first found out that Dan, a friend of a friend if you will, was diagnosed with cancer almost a year ago. We had met at a couple of our mutual friends parties, and our personalities were scarily similar. So naturally we got along great. The last time we were together at a party I had a chance that I should have taken with him, that I will most likely regret forever. And if there is anything to learn from this, it would be to never assume you will have a second chance.

The morning after that party was the last time I saw him, we talked for a few minutes on the porch of our friends house. "See you around", thats the last thing he said to me that day. And little did either of us know that would be the last time we saw each other. There have been a few e-mail sent between the two of us since then. Brief "hey hows it going" e-mails, and even a few where he talked to me about his radiation therapy and how it was getting tough. In the last e-mail he sent me he said Happy Birthday and keep in touch.

I sent him an e-mail sometime over the summer asking him how he was doing, and to say hi. I never heard back from him. On Saturday November 15th Dan died from Cancer. He was only 31 years old. I never will hear back from him, but the brief interaction that I had with this nice funny guy is something that I won't forget. And I will do my best to never take a single day forgranted.


"I'm a very fun loving person. I believe in sucking every ounce of marrow out of life. I play basketball, softball, golf, and water ski. I have my own business and work hard so that I can play hard. Some of my friends think I'm crazy because I'm up for just about anything at the drop of a hat."

-From the about me section on Dan's myspace

You will be missed

1 comments:

Annabelle Tinley said...

Its hard to loose people especially those that you've had that connection with. Its a very unfortunate thing. If I was a hugger, Id hug you.